- Have Preds assembled pieces for long term success?
- Weber thwarted again; loses Norris bid to Duncan Keith
- Preds give Rinne insurance for two years, re-sign Hutton
- Could the Preds trade Shea Weber next summer?
- Weber’s teammates endorse him for Norris
- Shea Weber nominated for Norris Trophy
- Barry Trotz has coached his final game for Preds
- Preds hang seven more on Minnesota to close out 13-14 season
- Preds hang seven on Blackhawks
- Shea Weber: “Something’s got to change”
Preds prospect Craig Smith leaves Wisconsin, turns pro…
- Updated: July 14, 2011
In 2009, he was the Nashville Predators’ fourth round pick. In 2010, he put up an impressive 33 points for the Wisconsin Badgers as a freshman. In 2011, he got the opportunity to play against professionals at the World Championships in Slovakia. In 2012, he almost certainly would’ve been a Hobey Baker Award finalist.
But that won’t happen anymore.
Yesterday, General Manager David Poile told the Skate Of the Union crowd that they were trying to tell forward Craig Smith that he was ready to make the team. Apparently word got back to him and today he reportedly left Wisconsin en route to turning pro.
He will start the season with the AHL-affiliate Milwaukee Admirals but this is a tremendous depth move for the organization. He was one of the four “men among boys” at this years Development Camp, he had very little to learn at the college level anymore having scored 76 points in 82 collegiate games and being an alternate captain for Wisco and, at 21 years old, he can gain invaluable experience with the Admirals while waiting to earn the call-up.
MORE TO COME LATER…
PHOTO CREDIT: Sarah Fuqua